Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bloody Greasy Knuckles- Street Off-Road Race Show.

Home*Latest imagesRegisterLog in
We Thank You For Your Support!

How to install a third gear extender in a T850. (SRT-4 and Sprinter)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
03RedSRT4
Clutchless Shifting
03RedSRT4

How to install a third gear extender in a T850. (SRT-4 and Sprinter) Empty
PostSubject: How to install a third gear extender in a T850. (SRT-4 and Sprinter)   How to install a third gear extender in a T850. (SRT-4 and Sprinter) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 10:02 pm

Long story short, after some abuse the 3/4 shift fork gets a little bent, and common issues are popping out on decel, and grinding going into 3rd gear. I wrote this for srtforums.com and figured I would share te knowledge. I can also rebuild the trans. 03's are the easiest. 04's and 05's have needle bearings, and LSD's.

A lot have asked for a How-to for this subject. I was doing mine today so I decided to make one. Enjoy. :thumbsup:

Remove battery, tray, air intake and anything obstructing access to the top plate on the transmission.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Pull up on the shift cables, they pop right off. Move to the side.

I recommend removing the trans mount. Its one 1/2in mount bolt and it gives you room to wrench. Be sure to support it with a jack and a wood block, this will also aid you in lining up the trans mount to slide the long bolt back in.

Remove the seven 13mm bolts from the top plate. I use a gear wrench for this.

Note: The bolt under the counter weight will NOT come out of the plate. The idea here is to loosen it last and bring the plate up off the trans while rotating the bolt counterclockwise.

Cover the exposed transmission with a towel or something to prevent objects from falling into it.
Place your trans plate in a vice, or secure it somewhere you can bang on it and it won't move.

Using a punch and hammer, or mallet, remove the two pins in the shaft. They hold the shift selector on and the stock _____ (IDK what the OEM item the 3rd gear extender replaces is called)
Note the positions of the items before removing them.

Stock part on the left of the 3rd gear extender for comparison.

Clean the items with something, I used a "lint free" shop towel.

Re assemble the shift selector and 3rd gear extender onto the shaft and make sure the notches are properly aligned.

Install locking pins.

Clean the mating surfaces of the plate and the transmission. I use paint thinner and a wire brush. If you do this you MUST have a shop vac to remove any dust or debris you agitate on, in and around the open transmission.

Run a bead of Transmission Anaerobic sealant. Failure to use the appropriate sealant may result in seal failure and corrosion.

I use this:

Install plate onto top of transmission. Note: I place the shift selector in the middle position to align the internals and make sure the forks are aligned to allow the selector to slide into them.

Begin tightening the bolt under the weight first. As you tighten each bolt periodically move the counterweight to ensure it moves freely and without restriction.
I can't fit a torque wrench in the bay there, so I tightened the bolts until I was confident they were tight enough. Some people use Loctite or Threadlock, that is acceptable, as long as the bolts are in fact tight.
Attempt to shift the car, engine off, into each gear. I have never had any problem not being able to do this after install.

I lost the end to my sealant, so that's the reason for my putty knife and fat ass bead. I cleaned it up before I put the plate in, so nothing dripped into the trans.

Back to top Go down
http://www.srtforums.com
jdm95eg
Clutchless Shifting
jdm95eg

PostSubject: Re: How to install a third gear extender in a T850. (SRT-4 and Sprinter)   How to install a third gear extender in a T850. (SRT-4 and Sprinter) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 10:41 pm

nice write up bro and clean
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com    eg_95ls@yahoo.com email
ARMAZECRETA
Admin
ARMAZECRETA

PostSubject: Re: How to install a third gear extender in a T850. (SRT-4 and Sprinter)   How to install a third gear extender in a T850. (SRT-4 and Sprinter) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 5:50 am

Legit!
Back to top Go down
noender
Admin
noender

PostSubject: Re: How to install a third gear extender in a T850. (SRT-4 and Sprinter)   How to install a third gear extender in a T850. (SRT-4 and Sprinter) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 6:01 am

niceee. any chance you know about honda transmission ?
Back to top Go down
03RedSRT4
Clutchless Shifting
03RedSRT4

PostSubject: Re: How to install a third gear extender in a T850. (SRT-4 and Sprinter)   How to install a third gear extender in a T850. (SRT-4 and Sprinter) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 10:35 am

Thank you guys. As far ad Honda transmissions go, I haven't dropped on in a few years, but I am sure it's like riding a bike. If you need something rebuilt, I am sure we can find the instructions online, and with a good Honda Forum anything's possible. I have access to a shop press and I have a few snap ring pliers for the various snap rings. What trans is it and what's the problem?
Back to top Go down
http://www.srtforums.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to install a third gear extender in a T850. (SRT-4 and Sprinter)   How to install a third gear extender in a T850. (SRT-4 and Sprinter) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to install a third gear extender in a T850. (SRT-4 and Sprinter)
Page 1 of 1