Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bloody Greasy Knuckles- Street Off-Road Race Show.

Home*Latest imagesRegisterLog in
We Thank You For Your Support!

Oil Guzzler

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RyaMoto
Clutchless Shifting
RyaMoto

Oil Guzzler Empty
PostSubject: Oil Guzzler   Oil Guzzler I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 4:10 pm

I noticed my D16y7 has been burning alot of oil for the past year and I keep having to put more in every two weeks

anyone had this problem before?

I keep having to add a quart every few weeks, I dont see it leaking out anywhere either
Back to top Go down
http://www.datsskateboards.com
Baxman
Baxman

Oil Guzzler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Guzzler   Oil Guzzler I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 5:20 pm

Yeah it might be your oil pan gasket or maybe if it's throwing grey smoke then it's your piston rings Or maybe from the valve cover or where the distributor is it might leak I've had those problems
Back to top Go down
Chubaka
Admin
Chubaka

Oil Guzzler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Guzzler   Oil Guzzler I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 7:28 pm

Could be a lot of things. Rings. Seals. Leaky gasket.
Back to top Go down
03RedSRT4
Clutchless Shifting
03RedSRT4

Oil Guzzler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Guzzler   Oil Guzzler I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 7:43 pm

It may even be a valve seal. Do a compression test. Warm motor, wot, all plugs removed, ignition unplugged.
Back to top Go down
http://www.srtforums.com
RyaMoto
Clutchless Shifting
RyaMoto

Oil Guzzler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Guzzler   Oil Guzzler I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 9:58 pm

now that you guys mention it, I just remembered im getting crazy amounts of oil shot back out of the head into the intake, so vavles?
Back to top Go down
Baxman
Baxman

Oil Guzzler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Guzzler   Oil Guzzler I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 12:04 am

I used to have that problem to on my older motor but cause it had almost three hundred miles
Back to top Go down
03RedSRT4
Clutchless Shifting
03RedSRT4

Oil Guzzler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Guzzler   Oil Guzzler I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 10:30 am

Sounds like valve seals. Did it ever overheat?

Does this car have a turbo?

Baxman, 3 hundred miles is still a new car Chuckle
Back to top Go down
Baxman
Baxman

Oil Guzzler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Guzzler   Oil Guzzler I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 11:38 am

Oh I ment to say tjree hundred thosand
Back to top Go down
RyaMoto
Clutchless Shifting
RyaMoto

Oil Guzzler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Guzzler   Oil Guzzler I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 1:14 pm

it over heated once when my thermostat went bad one day, the engine has 100k+ on it, no turbo
Back to top Go down
03RedSRT4
Clutchless Shifting
03RedSRT4

Oil Guzzler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Guzzler   Oil Guzzler I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Lol, I figured that Bax, I was just givin you shit.

Well, I have seen hondas overheat. The valve seals have a rubber end on top, with a spring to provide tension on the valve stem. Fast forwatd to 4:20 here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to see what they look like.

If the head gets REALLY hot, that rubber can warp, melt, or become brittle and fall apart. If the valve seals have ever been cleaned with a chemical like Brakleen, they can corrode, and deteriorate as well. If they do, the positive crank case pressure in the valve cover will push oil (liquid or vapor) out the faulty seal. This can sometimes be seen by removing the intake manifold, or the spark plugs. If you see an especially oily valve seat, thats probably the one with a bad seal.

I have seen one honda in particular get a thermostat stuck, and didn't register the engine temp on the sensor. It got soooooooooo hot, it melted the belt cover and it dripped onto the belt and sprayed all over the bottom of the hood.

Another possibility is the head gasket. If the head gasket fails, you may notice oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil. You may be losing oil out a cylinder as well. Or, if you have a bad rings, or lined up rings, you might be blowing oil out somewhere in the exhaust. Not sure. Come to think of it, theres a lot of possibilities here. You have some investigating to do.
Back to top Go down
RyaMoto
Clutchless Shifting
RyaMoto

Oil Guzzler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Guzzler   Oil Guzzler I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 11:35 pm

I have no time to replace valve seals, time to save for a new engine, this thing has tons of problems from when I was running it on nitrous.
Back to top Go down
03RedSRT4
Clutchless Shifting
03RedSRT4

Oil Guzzler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Guzzler   Oil Guzzler I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 3:58 pm

You left out the fact that it ran on nitrous I think. I bet the valve seals are bad, the valve seats are warped or burnt as well. Was the head gasket replaced when they stopped running nitrous?

You can do valve seals in a day if you have the tools on hand. You need an air compressor too.

Valve cover gasket, valve seals, valve spring compressor, and an air compressor, and a valve hose adapter to positively charge the cylinder. Your cams may need to come out, but some tools do it in the car with the cams in place.

It would be easier, cheaper, and more practical to just get another head. I'll even do the work on it if you want Wink The motor, below the head, may be completely fine. I'll have to charge you, but it won't be that much compared to a shop. You can put the head on the block at your convience. It will give you time to plan.

I am doing mine right now as a matter of fact.

03RedSRT4 wrote:
I an at .002 variance on the head.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I got the intake side valves in.

I resurfaced the intake manifold mating surface, and I need to do the exhaust side.

I might even be able to port the head. It wouldn't be professional, but a "clean up job" rather than full Port and Polish. I would need your valves to perform the lapping.
Back to top Go down
ChepeTech
ChepeTech

Oil Guzzler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Guzzler   Oil Guzzler I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 1:49 am

03redsrt4 is correct. you seem to have bad valve seals. normally it will leak when the car is cold and first turned on. what happens is that your engine gets cold your valve seals shrink, oil goes into the pistons....you turn the car on, theres oil in the piston it burns it, warms up the seals and they expand. so you may not notice it while you drive. i think that if i remember correclty they rent a tool at autozone that allows you to remove the seals without removing the head. you just need to remove the intake and exhaust manifold. its like some sort of clamp. its not very hard to do. good luck buddy.
Back to top Go down
ChepeTech
ChepeTech

Oil Guzzler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Guzzler   Oil Guzzler I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 1:50 am

you can also do a leak down test.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Oil Guzzler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Guzzler   Oil Guzzler I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil Guzzler
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Scene(cars, trucks, bikes, street, off-road) :: Tech-Talk and Set-Ups-
Jump to: