Bloody Greasy Knuckles- Street Off-Road Race Show.

Home*RegisterLog in
We Thank You For Your Support!

Share | 

JDM Manga/Anime Series You've probally never heard of

Go down 
AuthorMessage
RyaMoto
Clutchless Shifting
RyaMoto

PostSubject: JDM Manga/Anime Series You've probally never heard of   Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:43 pm

Im sure You have seen Initial D or Wangan Midnight

but this one is older than BOTH of those

its even better

original source:http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009/11/20/car-geek-gt-gt-shakotan-boogie.aspx

SHAKOTAN BOOGIE
Mike Garret

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The first time I came across Shakotan Boogie was in a small used bookstore in Japan a few years ago. I had heard the comic mentioned before, so I was really excited getting a chance to pick up a few volumes of this cult-favorite of Japan's car enthusiasts. In the time since I've managed to collect about half the series from bookstores all over Japan, and even some here in LA. With this month's theme, it's a perfect time to take a quick look through the pages of Shakotan Boogie.
Written by Kusunoki Michiharu, Shakotan Boogie includes 32 manga volumes published between the late '80s and the mid '90s, n short animation series, and even a 1987 live action film. If the artwork looks familiar, that's because Michiharu later went on to do the famous Wangan Midnight comic series.
The story follows two high school classmates, Hajime (right) and Koji (left), who cruise around in Hajime's MZ11 Soarer getting in to all sorts of trouble. Although cars are featured heavily in the story, it's about more about the adventures of being young than just racing - picking up girls, dealing with bosozoku and chinpira, running from police, etc. I suppose you can call it a Japanese version of American Graffiti.
Here's Hajime's famous #67 Soarer, there's even been a full replica of this car built in Japan, complete with an RB26 swap!
Some of the other main characters include Jun, who drives this Hakosuka Skyline with a fully-tuned L28
Instead of going for an ultra-realistic look, Michiharu draws all of his cars with slightly exaggerated features, wheels and tires poking out of the fenders, and ground-scraping ride heights. Thus the Shakotan in Shakotan Boogie.
As you can see, Jun-chan is kind of the badass hero of the story
One of the most iconic cars from the series is the "Yanky Mate!" Fairlady Z, also powered by a fully built L28.
The Z is driven by Akira, who's pretty mad in this scene when he finds his stolen SSR MkIII's for sale in a second hand parts shop! Scenes like this are why I love Shakotan Boogie.
Besides the main character's vehicles, all sorts of cars pop up through the course of the story. Here's a TE27 Levin and a Supra.
A Skyline Japan.
A 510 Bluebird being chased by an R32 GT-R through the snow
It's not all Japanese cars either, there's Hajime and Koji trying to chase down a girl in a Mini Cooper.
There's even American cars, or Ame-sha as the Japanese call them. Check this Corvette and Trans Am.
Another female character drives this Ferrari Testarossa
Vintage motorcycles are also part of the action in some stories.
So there you have it, a quick look what I think is the coolest comic ever. When I first picked up a volume of Shakotan Boogie, I could hardly understand anything. Recently though, I'm surprised that I can actually follow a good part of the story, and reading it provides a fun challenge to my limited Japanese skills.

Now I need to get to work on collecting the rest of the series....

-Mike Garrett
Back to top Go down
http://www.datsskateboards.com
RyaMoto
Clutchless Shifting
RyaMoto

PostSubject: Re: JDM Manga/Anime Series You've probally never heard of   Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:45 pm

I have had NO LUCK finding a manga or any clips of the anime on the interet, if you find something let me know
Back to top Go down
http://www.datsskateboards.com
noender
Admin
noender

PostSubject: Re: JDM Manga/Anime Series You've probally never heard of   Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:12 am

While 'Shakotan' literally translates to 'low car', it is used to refer to cars with subtle body modifications, ultra-low ride heights and aggressive wheels. The style orinally drived from the 'Shakotan Boogie' comic in which Michiharu Kusunoki, the author/illustrator, drew cars with wheels sticking out of the fenders and ultra low ride heights as opposed to a more realistic depiction.

Although Shakotan has similar features to Boso/Kaido style it differs from those styles as they do not have the over the top body kits, exhausts and paint jobs. Instead the cars are more subtle and clean in appearance.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
ARMAZECRETA
Admin
ARMAZECRETA

PostSubject: Re: JDM Manga/Anime Series You've probally never heard of   Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:10 pm

NICEE!!!

PostSubject: Re: JDM Manga/Anime Series You've probally never heard of   

Back to top Go down

JDM Manga/Anime Series You've probally never heard of
Page 1 of 1