Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bloody Greasy Knuckles- Street Off-Road Race Show.

Home*Latest imagesRegisterLog in
We Thank You For Your Support!

Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Nixon
Power Shifting
Nixon

Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication Empty
PostSubject: Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication   Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 3:23 am

my downpipe has always been too low, i would scrape it on pretty much any speedbump and even just getting into the garage so i decided to finally fix

before:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

you can see the scrapes here

Back to top Go down
Nixon
Power Shifting
Nixon

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication   Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 3:33 am

so i measured the clearance above the pipe and i had about 1.25" of space, so the plan was easy, cut an inch of pipe right after the flange that connects to the turbo elbow

cut the inch off and re-welded it, i know my welds arent pretty but they work, flux core and stainless dont mix too well

ofcourse i had to fit up the parts under the car, made sure they went the right way and what not, would not have been fun to weld a piece the wrong way
Back to top Go down
Nixon
Power Shifting
Nixon

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication   Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 3:44 am

then, since there was now about a 1/2" gap between the downpipe and the catback (i knew this would happen so...) i cut the downpipe again and added a 6" flex section

and so the results:

Back to top Go down
Nixon
Power Shifting
Nixon

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication   Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 3:49 am

so if anyone needs some cutom work done let me know,

NIXON Fabrication Wink
Back to top Go down
03RedSRT4
Clutchless Shifting
03RedSRT4

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication   Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 2:07 pm

Good job on the repair man. Mig or Tig?
Back to top Go down
http://www.srtforums.com
Nixon
Power Shifting
Nixon

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication   Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 10:51 am

I have a mig/flux core. I can weld with any process but I only have a little Lincoln 140 on flux core. I actually have my associates in welding haha
Back to top Go down
ARMAZECRETA
Admin
ARMAZECRETA

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication   Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 10:56 am

Al chingaso!
Back to top Go down
03RedSRT4
Clutchless Shifting
03RedSRT4

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication   Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 12:06 pm

Nixon wrote:
I have a mig/flux core. I can weld with any process but I only have a little Lincoln 140 on flux core. I actually have my associates in welding haha

I wish I would have known that. I am actually going to do some welding today. I have been teaching myself, but have had a rough time. Also using mig with flux core.
Back to top Go down
Nixon
Power Shifting
Nixon

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication   Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 8:53 pm

it all comes down to practice and knowledge of materials. if you know what your gonna be welding you can look up the wire speed and voltage(heat) thats recomended. once you find that its just about practice. i used the first piece i cut off to practice welding before i actually welded the main piece. also, maintaining speed of movement, distance from wire to material (about 1/8"), and angle of the wire to the material (45 degrees). if you have steady hands then the most difficult part is getting the speed down which requires practice.

like my old instructor used to say, welding is 90% prep and 10% welding. measuring, fitting, cleaning, etc are very important
Back to top Go down
03RedSRT4
Clutchless Shifting
03RedSRT4

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication   Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 9:47 pm

I agree. Maybe you can look at my welder. I am unsure if the polarity is correct. It's a reman. Campbell Hausfield. All my welds are really sharp, I wanna make them smooth.
Back to top Go down
Uly
Admin
Uly

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication   Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 2:15 am

Can you fabricate me a rear strut bar??!?!?!

Hahahaha just playing!!
Nixon gets down with his work. He custom made me a rear strut bar for my subie wagon with quick release pins!!! Made my car feel way less like a boat while taking corners!!

I really do recommend Nixon Fabrication!!!
Back to top Go down
Nixon
Power Shifting
Nixon

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication   Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 7:38 pm

Haha thanks uly. I'm down to make stuff for the miata but I'd need lots of time with your car. And nick I'd be happy to take a look at your welder. I have Monday n Tuesday off if your free
Back to top Go down
03RedSRT4
Clutchless Shifting
03RedSRT4

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication   Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 7:39 pm

Cool. I am free after 3pm those days.
Back to top Go down
Nixon
Power Shifting
Nixon

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication   Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 8:17 pm

Sent you a PM
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication   Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Downpipe Modification, NIXON Fabrication
Page 1 of 1