Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bloody Greasy Knuckles- Street Off-Road Race Show.

Home*Latest imagesRegisterLog in
We Thank You For Your Support!

DIY port and polish.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
03RedSRT4
Clutchless Shifting
03RedSRT4

DIY port and polish.  Empty
PostSubject: DIY port and polish.    DIY port and polish.  I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 11:28 am

I did not post this in SRT videos because I am more interested in the performance effect of Porting and Polishing than making a video. I recently got a GoPro so theres not an event I dont document :lol:

I have a HEAVILY cracked manifold thats garbadge. (9 cracks and 3 through the core completly) So I decided to test my hand at the P&P on it.

Problems I ran in to: The left wall of the runner I worked on had a large "lip" on the casting in the middle. I tried knocking it down with the carbide burr, and it worked well, but the dremel sanding wheel diameter was causing a "gutter shaped groove" in the 90* corners, which created the necessity to knock the left middle of the wall down more. Just needs more patience and detail.

I need to get one of those 6" rods to get down into the runners completly, and down into the base of the manifold. I can see this being a necessity for the IM as well.

The 1" diameter of the flapper wheels didn't fit easily into the runner, but after a few mins the diameter went down and it was easier to manipulate. I used a 60 grit and a 240 grit.

Getting a good photo of the progress was difficuly. I am going to have to try in the daylight.

I dont have a garage :crying:

My video is wayyyyy too long, even with 400x fast forward on :jester:

I wanna do my intake manifold as well, but need more tools first. I do not plan on doing the head right now, so i will take into account the turbulance of the different sizes at the mating surfaces. I just wanna smooth the runners for now, larger diameter runners is just a byproduct at this time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.srtforums.com
RougeSrt
Quick Shifting

PostSubject: Re: DIY port and polish.    DIY port and polish.  I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 8:19 pm

nice vid man! How long did you take to do that one runner?
Back to top Go down
03RedSRT4
Clutchless Shifting
03RedSRT4

PostSubject: Re: DIY port and polish.    DIY port and polish.  I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 10:40 pm

About 2 hours, and its not complete. I need to get some different shaped Burrs. Frikken Wymore and Fastenall are the only places that sell them. I checked all the auto parts stores, Lowes, Home Depot, Do It Center, and a few welding shops.

I will have to wait for Tuesday to buy some more. Damnit.
Back to top Go down
nachosrt
Granny Shifting
nachosrt

PostSubject: Re: DIY port and polish.    DIY port and polish.  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 11:23 pm

the exhaust manifold is the hardest one to do, i had started on my a few years back but my air compressor broke down and put everything back together as it was, i believe the intake manifold /throttle body and turbo are aluminum so these are easy to port. exhaust manifold is iron metal

Last edited by nachosrt on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
03RedSRT4
Clutchless Shifting
03RedSRT4

PostSubject: Re: DIY port and polish.    DIY port and polish.  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 11:39 pm

Lol. Aluminum and iron are both metal, but iron is much harder.

I have some more burrs on order. Should be here in a week or so. I have to get special ones for aluminum becuase its softer.
Back to top Go down
nachosrt
Granny Shifting
nachosrt

PostSubject: Re: DIY port and polish.    DIY port and polish.  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 12:32 am

damn my bad forgot to put "iron", i don't remember what kind of Carbide Burrs i used but i only used two for the aluminum parts,

once you do everything you notice a great difference in you car.

Back to top Go down
03RedSRT4
Clutchless Shifting
03RedSRT4

PostSubject: Re: DIY port and polish.    DIY port and polish.  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 12:28 pm

I have spoken with ALOT of people over the years, and some seem to believe that there is no measurable gain in an SRT from porting the manifolds, rather the head is what needs to be ported. IDK, but I am the sorta guy that will do it for the learning experience.

I am going to get some Aluminum specific burrs, and then do the IM when I get a good weekend or so to do it. In the mean time I think I will do this exhaust manifold I have sitting here. I have a good one, nothing wrong with t.
Back to top Go down
evo_jfa
Admin

PostSubject: Re: DIY port and polish.    DIY port and polish.  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 1:04 pm

03RedSRT4 wrote:
I have spoken with ALOT of people over the years, and some seem to believe that there is no measurable gain in an SRT from porting the manifolds, rather the head is what needs to be ported. IDK, but I am the sorta guy that will do it for the learning experience.

I am going to get some Aluminum specific burrs, and then do the IM when I get a good weekend or so to do it. In the mean time I think I will do this exhaust manifold I have sitting here. I have a good one, nothing wrong with t.

hey question,
I did a porting job (first time) recently to an exhaust manifold (not mine Sad ). Do you know the difference between burrs for Aluminum and those for Iron?. My current burrs still have life, but I'm going to port intake, intake and exhust ports on my Eclipse. I prefer to buy those specific for Aluminum. Any recommended store, I used eastwood, so let me know if you have a better one.
Back to top Go down
03RedSRT4
Clutchless Shifting
03RedSRT4

PostSubject: Re: DIY port and polish.    DIY port and polish.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 6:54 pm

I just saw this. It looks old. Sorry about that. For aluminum you want single flute burrs. The double cut burrs will clog up.

There are specific single flute burrs for aluminum. Call them if their website doesn't specify.
Back to top Go down
evo_jfa
Admin

PostSubject: Re: DIY port and polish.    DIY port and polish.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 8:15 pm

I didn't know about single cut. Actually a friend of mine bought a head that I'll suggest to port it. I'll take under consideration. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY port and polish.    DIY port and polish.  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DIY port and polish.
Page 1 of 1